Friday, July 16, 2010

Action Research Projects and Blogging Can Be Fun!

Traditional Research Projects vs. Action Research Projects

When I was completing my undergraduate degree eighteen years ago every type of project or report was based on research done by experts. I felt as if the only original part of my papers were the introduction and conclusion. (Side note…I did not plagiarize, I always gave credit to my sources.) This idea of action research is so intriguing; so much more interesting and hands on rather than the traditional reports or projects. It is exciting that I will be deciding on a problem that needs to be solved at my school, and then doing the hands on research rather than reading volumes of research that may not totally apply to my school’s situation. This research can be completed using observations, interviews, problem solving skills, and research with experts as needed. I also like the aspect that a committee of educators can put their heads together and their arms around a problem at their school or district and work on a solution that is explicitly derived for their situation. I also like the idea of reflecting on the problem and spending time each day, or week journaling about the progress being made on the solution. I am not drawn to journaling by nature, but I do like the aspect of following the progress of the inquiry through a journal. This is also a hands on way to measure the growth, or success of the project by reviewing the journal.

Needless to say, I am excited about this project. I must also confess I am somewhat apprehensive about the unknown that is also included in this inquiry.


Blogs are Great

If you perused through my blog you can tell that I try to blog with my classroom students every week during the school year. I enjoy the idea of communicating my weekly expectations with them and having them respond to my trivia questions. I also encouraged the parents of my students to check the blog weekly so they were aware of any up coming assignments or tests. This is the first year that I have attempted this type of communication, and honestly I was not able to update it every week, but I did try to keep major projects and tests posted. The parents were always very grateful for the posts and felt as if the blog was extremely helpful. I believe that is technology is definitely the wave of the future for education. It is a quick and easy way to communicate with a large group of colleagues, students, or parents, and then it allows all of the involved parties respond to everyone. My next year’s project is to require my G/T students to establish their own blog sites and blog their assignments. I think it sounds exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Tamara,

    I am so envious. I think what you are doing to communicate with your students’ and parents' is great!! I’ve always talked about using blogs, but have not had the opportunity to put into practice. As I peruse your pervious posting, you have giving me some terrific ideas. This will be the year! Thanks 

    ReplyDelete